Humour is a tool that has what it takes to get students eager and engaged to learn – isn’t that every educator’s goal?
Humour helps kids stay focused on the lesson and according to researcher Mary Kay Morrison; it maximizes learning and strengthens memories which translates to better student outcomes.
I think we need humour in our classroom and here’s why:
- Humour can entice students to attend class for the pure entertainment value, learning is just the bonus.
- Humour creates a positive, fun, comfortable learning environment and puts students at ease.
- Humour breaks down the intimidation factor between teacher and student.
- Humour accesses higher order thinking skills. (e.g. cartoons )
- Humour allows student to learn without their knowing they are learning.
- Humour can relieve test anxiety, especially when humour is incorporated into the exam. (Based on Bill Simpkins – Humour in the Classroom retrieved from: www.youtu.be/KPXxyz99BVT)